Friday, July 26, 2013

The Nike KD VI


Kobe Bryant will always be my favorite basketball player, but that doesn’t mean I’ll only be going after his shoes. Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant’s sneaker line first caught my attention back when the KD IV dropped. The colorways were crazy, but the shoes were pretty solid low-tops with cool mid-foot straps for a lock-down feel. Now I’m no basketball player, but I couldn’t pass up a chance to pick up a pair of his new shoes – The Nike KD VI.

Nicknamed the “Seat Pleasant”, the colorway is inspired by the recreational center where Kevin Durant honed his skills back in Maryland. The bright yellow is a sure eye-catcher that’s complemented with some cool teal color-blocking.

Looks-wise, I really like the KD VI’s sleek silhouette. While the design inspiration is said to have come from a wristwatch, I was really drawn to getting a pair because of how much they look like football/futsal shoes to me. From how low the shoes are cut, the tongue that veers to the side, all the way to the placement of the swoosh, there’s a part of me that thinks at least some design cues were taken from Nike’s football program.

Now while I’m not the person to ask in terms of on-court performance, I can say that the shoes are pretty lightweight thanks to Nike’s Flywire technology. And being loaded with both Max Air and Zoom Air units, the shoes are mighty comfy and great for all-day wear.

Going back to performance, now while I don’t play basketball, perhaps football design cues aren’t too far-fetched an idea. If low-top sneakers don’t restrict movement, thus allowing football players to come up with some dazzling dribbling on the pitch, then it makes sense for the design to be adapted towards basketball. The evolution of the Kobe Bryant line has prominently featured the benefits of having a low-top sneaker for dynamic on-court movement, and it would only make sense for the newest iteration of the Kevin Durant line to follow suit.


If you’re a baller who favors quick, flashy drives to the basket, or if you’re like me, a sneakerhead who appreciates an eye-catching low-top, give these a try. Great player, great sneakers, and great price point too! Check out Titan, Nike, and other sports stores for upcoming colorways! 

No comments:

Post a Comment