Sunday, February 2, 2014

Nike SB x Diamond Supply Co. "Tiffany" Dunk High

Photo via Kicks On Fire

Back in 2005, a tie-up between Nike Skateboarding and Diamond Supply Co. resulted in the "Tiffany Diamond" SB Dunk Lows, which to this day remains to be one of the most sought after sneakers among collectors. And next month, after tons of speculation, Nike SB and Diamond are teaming up once again to release the much anticipated high-cut version of their first collab shoe.

Photo via Highsnobiety
Don't get me wrong, the Tiffany Diamond Dunks had such an undeniable effect not only in the world of sneakers, but in street culture as well. The hype that built around and after its release marked a watershed moment where more and more people started to pay attention to the world of streetwear. But in the 9 years that followed, a high-cut version of a previously released shoe is that's coming out?

At this point I'm quite sure this'll be an unpopular opinion, but honestly, I can't help but feel a little let down with the forthcoming release. I was expecting something totally new, some fresh concept that takes inspiration from diamonds. Hope Diamonds, Black Diamonds, Blood Diamonds, whatever. For all the hype, I was looking to see something that would its own trail within Nike and Diamond Supply lore, and not some re-hash that feels lazy given the stratospheric levels of success its predecessor reached. Again, I'm not trying to hate on Diamond Supply or Nike. I love the Tiffany Diamond Dunks. Given a chance, I'd have a pair in rotation, without a doubt. But I can't help feeling like me and the general sneaker collecting public could have gotten something a little better for waiting so long.



But who am I kidding. It's a Nike SB and Diamond shoe. It'll probably sell out faster than I can say "Nick Tershay".



There's nothing much else to say really. Anyone familiar with the original will know the colorway, the faux croc skin accents and that chrome swoosh that sets them all off. They're absolutely beautiful, and personal feelings aside, I can't judge you for liking them. I'm not looking to get a pair, but I do hope the distribution is wide enough for everybody who missed out on the originals to get a fair chance to cop at retail come February 8, 2014.

***

Check this entry back for more details pertaining to when and where you can pick up a pair!


1 comment:

  1. nike sb is my favorite brand,. i have a big collection of them.they are updating with time.

    ReplyDelete