Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star '70.


The Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star is a shoe I hold in very high regard. Whether you like them high or low, the look is timeless. The silhouette is unmistakable, and the mass appeal is arguably second to none in the world of sneakers.

Having seen so many reinterpretations and designs of the All-Star over the years I really started paying attention to shoes, I've always found the simplest ones to be the most enduring. The canvas low tops either in black or navy will always have a spot in my rotation. And with the scorching summer heat setting in, I know I'm gonna be in Chucks way more than you'll be seeing me in Jordans.


I was checking out the selection at the Converse store in Glorietta when I chanced upon the Chuck Taylor All-Star '70 which was based on the design released during that decade. At first glance, there really isn't that much of a difference between them and the regular classic Chucks to justify the substantial increase in price for the former. However, closer inspection revealed some subtle yet pretty interesting details that really set the shoe off.







First off is the noticeable added stitching to the sidewalls of the shoe. How it helps preserve structural integrity is anyone's guess, but it's a nice detail to look at. Higher foxing on the sidewalls does suggest better build quality. That's a huge plus because anyone who's ever owned a pair of Chucks knows that there will come a time where the sidewalls will open up on you. It's inevitable, but I'd much rather have it happen later rather than early on. Another aesthetic change that's easily spotted is the new heel tab. Newer releases have featured the "All-Star" tab with the Converse branding right above it for a while now, but the '70s version features a dominantly black tab with contrast white branding.


I got to try on a pair and I noticed a big chance in the area where I have the most problems with when it comes to Chucks - cushioning. The cushioning unit is pretty average on normal Chucks to begin with, and they thin and wear out pretty fast with constant use. The cushioning on the '70s version has yet to be tested extensively, but having a plush footbed out of the box is always appreciated.

I didn't pick them up right after, but I know it's only a matter of time from here. They're a perfect set of beaters for the summertime. Check out the range of colors available at Converse stores for P2950!



No comments:

Post a Comment