Monday, December 30, 2013

Air Jordans in 2014


Love or hate what they've done to the sneaker game, you can't deny the mass appeal that retro Jordans have. And given what's been going around the net, the popularity of the Air Jordan line will only continue to grow in 2014.


Early next year marks the return of the Air Jordan 6. It's a favorite among many collectors as it was the shoe MJ won his first NBA championship in. And with 2014 being its 23rd anniversary, we can expect a good amount of classic and original colorways to release. I don't mess with every pair of Jays that come out, but #6 is one I've been eyeing for a while. Its design cues have directly influenced a good amount of modern sneakers (see Supra Skytop 2). And what's not to love about a shoe that both Kanye West and Hanamichi Sakuragi rocked, right?

Image from http://bit.ly/1fUZiL9

While retro Jordan colorways are always welcomed by sneakerheads, new ones are pretty hit and miss. There was certainly a lot of hype last year for shoes like the Green Glow 4s and Gamma Blue 11s, but so far, what's been shown online has been pretty underwhelming. Take the black cement colorway for the Air Jordan 3 shown above which shows hints of sport blue. The change-up is something I find totally unnecessary given how strong the original black cements are. There's also an all-red Air Jordan 6, which feels like a Nike copout given the state of Limbo the Red October Yeezy 2s are in.

The only new colorway I'd wear so far are these Air Jordan 9s with a colorway inspired by the Birmingham Barons, just because they're a clean look.



And while we're at it, we all know that Black Friday and the Christmas season is a time for serious Jordan heat to drop. This year saw the return of the Taxis 12s and Bred 1s in their OG form alongside strong new colorways like the Oreo 5s. While nothing's set for the 2014 holiday season, all I want to see released come Christmas season are the Columbia 11s! I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting on those to return.



And on that note, a Bred 12 in its original makeup would make both me and my girlfriend Dylan very very happy. Jordan Brand hear me out and make it a Black Friday release or something!

What Jays would you like to see drop in 2014? Are you looking to cop any of the 6s like I am? Let me know!


1 comment: