Sunday, December 29, 2013

Big in 2014: Flyknit.



Now that the holidays shoe releases are over and done, it's time to regroup (assess finances) and look ahead to what 2014 holds when it comes to sneakers. 

One thing I've been particularly interested in is how Nike plans to use their Flyknit material, which I'm a big fan of. Honestly, they could keep pumping out colorways of their existing models and people would still cop them. But we all know it wouldn't be Nike's if they didn't at least try to come up with something new. 

Below are two examples of new models integrating Nike Flyknit technology that could be the tip of the iceberg of what I'm thinking is a big year not only for Nike, but for the sneaker game itself. Other shoe companies should consider this a warning. Time to step up, both literally and figuratively. 


Nike Air Max Flyknit 

Pair a lightweight, breathable upper with a comfy yet supportive sole, and you've got a winner in my book. I can't say much about either the Flyknit or the Air Max models in terms of running, but I can definitely picture myself wearing these on days where a lot of walking is a sure thing. Good looks for keeping the look close to the original Lunar Flyknit silhouette, too. My only concern would be the structural integrity of the full-length air unit. Given time, once that thing crumbles, it won't be pretty.   


Nike Kobe 9 Elite

If you trace the history of Kobe Bryant's signature line with Nike, you'll find that certain shoes really shook the world of basketball sneakers up. When the Kobe 4 dropped, it suddenly became alright for basketball shoes to be low-cut and not lack in terms of ankle support. Now the Kobe 9 looks to change the game again by not only going back to a high cut, but also by being the first basketball shoe to feature Flyknit technology. What interests me the most is how the material affects the wearer's range of motion. It's supposed to fit like a sock and feel like playing in a low top. I'm no Kobe, but once I get a pair, I'll definitely test them out on the court and write up a review. The only thing that worries me is the crossover appeal. They look pretty tough to pull off casually. 

Heading into the new year, expect to see some more prediction posts! I hope you're all enjoying the holidays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment